Can Morphine be mixed in 50 ml mini bags for easier administration & easier titration?
Yes. The OBHG Companion Document v4.5 states, Medications listed in the following directives may be administered via 50mL 0.9% Normal Saline (NS) Medication bag, if available, intravenously at the discretion of the paramedic as an alternative to bolus/slow IV push administration:
The stipulations being:
1. All medications given via 50mL mini bag must be appropriately labelled with the following minimum information:
d.Attending Paramedic Name and initials
2. Only one medication may be administered per 50mL 0.9% NS bag
3. Volume of 50mL 0.9% NS bag and medication is not to be counted towards total fluid volume administered to the patient
4. Flush IV line with 10mL of 0.9%NS once the medication infusion is complete to ensure all medication has been administered
5. IV drug dosages remain the same, medication bag infusion allows for slow IV administration to be accomplished while providing ongoing patient care.