In regards to advanced airway management in cardiac arrest, the latest version (May 8, 2020) of the Considerations for Paramedics Managing Patients during the COVID-19 Pandemic (here) states paramedics should consider in all cases:
- Inserting an advanced airway as soon as feasible.
- Using either SGA (if available and authorized) or oral ETT as options for advanced airways.
- When an SGA is used, the gastric/suction port should be occluded prior to insertion.
- Using the advanced airway technique with which the paramedic is most comfortable.
- Withholding chest compressions during the advanced airway insertion
SWORBHP medical council continues to endorse the SGA as the preferred advanced airway method during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please see the ASK MAC question and answer from April 8th 2020 for detailed rationale behind this recommendation.